After reading this post on Blissful and Domestic I have decided to try her methods for grocery shopping.
Saving money is a definite plus, but what I really want is to gain time and eat out much, much, much less.
So yesterday, I spent about an hour and a half making a meal plan and grocery list for the next two weeks (including a few meals for Sean to make), then about 3 hours picking everything we need up (Costco, Loblaws and the TnT Asian Grocery) and finally about an hour trying to organize the fridge, freezer and cupboards to hold all the food. Yes – a big time investment on a Saturday, but I’m super excited looking ahead to what we’ll be eating for the next couple weeks and all the time saved not making sporadic trips to the grocery store.
Here’s what’s on the menu for the next two weeks:
- Saturday: Steak (cooked by Sean), shaved zucchini with goat cheese and pine nuts, sesame fried enoki, hubbard squash mash
- Sunday Lunch: Chicken Tortilla SoupMade this already and Sean said it was his new favourite soup (until I reminded him of my Leek and Potato soup) after which he said it was now is second favourite. And we have leftovers for our lunches tomorrow.
- Sunday Dinner: Sesame Ginger Tuna for Sean and Sesame Ginger Marlin for me (being prepared by Sean as I write this post)
- Monday: Spicy Peanut Butter Tofu, with stir fried veggies and rice
- Tuesday: Lamb burgers (prepared by Sean)
- Wednesday: Laksa with beef
- Thursday: Shrimp Saganaki with Sean’s Dad’s rice and string beans
- Friday: Spinach Artichoke Pasta
- Saturday: We are meeting friends at noon and potluck for dinner. Haven’t figured this one out yet so might have to make a mini trip shopping trip.
- Sunday: Lunch: Hearty Chicken Stew Butternut Quinoa
- Monday: Butternut squash lasagna
- Tuesday: Cornish Hen (prepared by Sean)
- Wednesday: Cheesy Stuffed Chicken
- Thursday: Crockpot Honey Happy Pork Loin
- Friday: Lamb (prepared by Sean)
- Saturday: Shopping day again!!
I spent about $350 on groceries, but what was purchased exceeds what we need – a lot went into the freezer and will be used in future weeks.